Monday, July 29, 2013

My "vision board" refrigerator

Mmm, I'm guilty: today I decided to sleep in.  Monday is proving to be the hardest day to get out of bed at 6:30, following a weekend of sleeping late.  I didn't sleep well last night and opted for a couple more hours, resulting in no morning workout and no meditation.  Wamp wamp.  I knew I'd have time to do both later today, so I lost the snooze button battle and headed straight into the office after breakfast.  I'm determined to get back to my early morning routine tomorrow.

I'm glad that I have my prominently-posted workout check-off calendar right on the fridge.  It would disappointment me not to be able to check off today's workout, which is part of what motivates me to get it done later today, even though I missed the morning.  I also wrote myself a little motivational poem, which I read while making breakfast.  It reminds me that my goal is to be in the moment, and show strong determination to be active in the morning, instead of letting all my mornings pass me by.

In this way, my freezer door serves as a kind of vision board.  A vision board is a place for words and objects that represent your goal.  Mine has images that make me smile and is geared toward optimism and happiness. The little tags from my tea bags, when they're meaningful to me, such as, "When you know that all is light, you are enlightened." My favorite fortune cookie fortunes; #1 favorite: "Fate loves the fearless."  A newspaper clipping with the headline "pair of signs speaks volumes," above a photograph of two signs at an intersection; one reads "dead end" and the other reads "hope."  It's fun to see little encouraging words and images when I'm trying to wake up in the morning. It's one easy way to increase your happiness.  :)

The T25 workout calendar, Alpha cycle.
After the first 5 weeks, the workout program switches to the Beta cycle, calendar for which is on the other side.
Do you have a vision board?  A blog?  A journal?  A workout calendar, or a workout group?  How about a community of people, centered around your goal, that helps keep you accountable to the goals you've set for yourself?  These tools or friends can help you keep your goal at the forefront of your mind at times when it might not otherwise be.  Do what it takes to create an atmosphere -- including in your home, and among the company you keep -- that is both supportive of, and a reflection of, the life you envision for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment