Monday, July 22, 2013

The Total Body Happiness food shopping list!

Here's a common sense shopping list that's easy to stick to.  Garlic, mustard, herbs, spices, salsa, and lemon juice are awesome ways to add versatility to your meals without adding calories, even when you're sticking to the same basic ingredients week to week.  

I've been eating in a healthy, whole way for a while now, but tonight I shopped with extra diligence (excluding things like cheese, sweetened almond milk in favor of unsweetened, plain Greek yogurt instead of fruit flavor to cut out some sugar). Nutrition plays such a big role in your body's composition.  As they say, "abs are made in the kitchen."  I'm using a combination of concepts and principles, primarily from the T25 nutrition guide (which includes easy recipes), The 4-Hour Body, and The New Abs Diet for Women.  


Protein
Chicken breast
Salmon
Tilapia
Grass-fed beef
Nitrate-free deli turkey (Boar's Head is good)
Eggs
Beans (black, pinto, kidney)
Unsalted roasted almonds
Walnuts
Whey protein powder and/or Shakeology

Vegetables
Kale
Spinach and baby spinach
Broccoli
Sweet potatoes
Onions
Bell peppers
Cucumbers
Zucchini

Fruit
Apples
Berries
Melon
Avocados (are they a fruit?)
Tomatoes (I know that one!)
Bananas
Grapes
Mango

Whole grains and seeds
Oatmeal
Lentils
Pumpkin seeds
Quinoa
Brown rice
Sprouted grain pasta

Dairy
Almond milk
Greek yogurt

There are lots of other awesome foods in all of these categories, but this is good to keep it simple and start with!  I had to do my workout after work tonight, and food shop, so it got a little late for dinner.  I ended up having a light meal with a couple of ingredients that aren't on this list, but it was so unexpectedly good that I have to share!
  • 2 Quaker lightly salted rice cakes (made of brown rice!)
  • 2 tbs Tribe Everything Hummus (I love this)
  • 4 slices Boar's Head Oven Gold turkey breast
  • Cucumber
Smear hummus on rice cakes, top with thin-sliced cucumber, and turkey breast.  Super yummy -- savory and salty with a satisfying crunch and delightful cucumber refreshment!  :)  

I'm having a cup of Yogi Kava Stress Relief tea now and winding down for bedtime.  Other teas I love that are always on my shopping list: peppermint, chamomile, Yogi's St. John's Wort Blues Away, and fennel when I can find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment